Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Devotional 12-4-13

Tempus Fugit

Latin was never my favorite subject in school. Actually, it wasn’t the subject but the teacher I didn’t like. This many years later I don’t remember why I didn’t like her but I do know that what I learned from her teaching has been of benefit to me throughout my life. If you have studied Latin you know that it is the foundation for many languages and helps us even in the understanding of our own English language.

Some years ago I took my two sons and their wives to London,  and we visited the school I had attended. The buildings looked the same, the grounds where I had played field hockey (badly) and tennis (not much better) were unchanged. We went to the Administrative Building seeking to tour the classrooms, the chapel the auditorium and my particular nemesis, the gymnasium. We rang the bell and guess who opened the door. That’s right, my former Latin teacher! 

Much to my surprise, she remembered me. Maybe I had been the kind of brat you don’t easily forget. Nevertheless she was so welcoming and kind I wondered why I had not liked her those many years ago. Perhaps because the passage of time changes our perceptions of many things and many people.

We hope for change, for promises to be fulfilled and in this Advent season we know that hope for a savior was fulfilled. Tempus fugit, time flies, but hope must never leave us. Let us rejoice in Jesus’ coming, the hope of the ages is fulfilled. 

Romans 15:4   For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Jean Dean

No comments: