Friday, December 04, 2015

Devotional 12-4-14

Scripture:
3 I thank my God every time I mention you in my prayers.4 I’m thankful for all of you every time I pray, and it’s always a prayer full of joy. 5 I’m glad because of the way you have been my partners in the ministry of the gospel from the time you first believed it until now. 6 I’m sure about this: the one who started a good work in you will stay with you to complete the job by the day of Christ Jesus. 7 I have good reason to think this way about all of you because I keep you in my heart. You are all my partners in God’s grace, both during my time in prison and in the defense and support of the gospel. 8 God is my witness that I feel affection for all of you with the compassion of Christ Jesus.

9 This is my prayer: that your love might become even more and more rich with knowledge and all kinds of insight. 10 I pray this so that you will be able to decide what really matters and so you will be sincere and blameless on the day of Christ. 11 I pray that you will then be filled with the fruit of righteousness, which comes from Jesus Christ, in order to give glory and praise to God.
 Philippians 1:3-11 The Common English Bible

Devotional:
“December is finally here! Christmas is coming!” These words used to run through my mind and out my mouth constantly at the start of the month of December as a child. Everything seemed magical in the month of December for me. Icy, cold air hitting my face when I went outside meant that snow could be just around the corner. All tiny, twinkling lights seemed to dance taking away all the fear of the darkness of the ever growing nights. All the people in the stores multiplied my excitement of the upcoming holiday. It probably seemed like anything, no matter how big or small, caused me to bubble with excitement that Christmas was coming.

But slowly as the years have gone by the feelings have changed. December no longer seems to evoke this sense of deep, uncontainable joy inside me. The newness and excitement has worn off now that I know how much work, time, energy, stress, and money tend to be involved with Christmas. The novelty that everything will be wonderful because it is Christmas time has gone away as my eyes have been opened to some of the harsh realities of life for people even during the Christmas season.

Maybe this is how the Christmas season is for you this year. There simply is just no easy joy in it anymore. It may just seem easier to just let this advent season pass by. However, that doesn’t mean that the magic is gone. As we grow and change Christ is inviting us to experience the gift of His love offered at Christmas in new and different ways.

All around, there are trees with little angels containing the names of children and their personal Christmas wishes. Soup kitchens are opening up all over the place for more free meals. The chimes of bells and change falling into kettles can be heard outside of stores everywhere. All around people are singing together the loved and familiar tunes. Families and friends spend quality time together. Hearts are rejoicing more in giving than receiving.

I pray this advent season like Paul in Philippians that we may allow our insights and knowledge to create in us a deeper and richer understanding of the love that was offered at Christmas so that we may be filled anew with joy at celebration of the birth of Christ.

Erin Sears

No comments: